The Reformation, Protestant Scholasticism, and the Puritans (c. 1517-1700)
The following are links to Reformation, Protestant Scholastic, and Puritan Church History primary source documents available online, in English translation, for free. In some cases, there are better translations available in print, so for serious scholarly publications, you will want to consult those. But for introductory purposes, the following links may be helpful.
• Post-Reformation Digital Library - thousands of Reformation and Post-Reformation primary source documents (most are not in English, but the link leads to a list of authors who have at least one work written in or translated into English) • Early English Books Online (mid-15th C - 1700)(EEBO) (Text Creation Partnership - Phase I English texts available to the public; use 'Browse' function to see the authors and works; use the 'Browse Phase I' function to see authors and works available to the public, without subscription) • The Parker Society - a 19th century collection of English translations of Reformation documents. This list contains links to the volumes on archive.org. The others can be found on google books.
• Bucer, Martin • A Review of the Book of Common Prayer (google pdf: 1853 edition) • The Judgment of Martin Bucer Concerning Divorce (google pdf: 1644 edition) • The Original of Bishops and Metropolitans (google pdf: 1641 edition)
• Tracts, Volume 1 (Translated by Beveridge, HathiTrust) - includes Sadoleto and Calvin's letters; Articles of Faculty of Theology and Antidote; Necessity of Reforming the Church; Paternal Admonition by Pope Paul III, Remarks on the Paternal Admonition; Advantages of Inventory of Relics
• Tracts, Volume 2 - Catechism; Forms of Prayer; Form of Administering the Sacraments; Visitation of the Sick; Brief confession of Faith; Confession of Faith of Reformed Churches of France; Short Treatise on Lord's Supper; Mutual Consent as to the Sacraments; Second Defence of the Sacraments; Last Admonition to Joachim Westphal; True Partaking of the Flesh and Blood of Christ; Best Method of Concord on the Sacraments.
• Theological Treatises (1954, HathiTrust) - includes Genevan Confession, Lausanne Articles and Two Discourses; Articles on Organization and Worship at Geneva; Ecclesiastical Ordinances; Visitation of Country Churches; Ordinances for Supervision of Country Churches; Catechism of Church of Geneva; Short Treatise on Lord's Supper; Confession of Faith on Eucharist; Summary of Doctrine on Ministry of Word and Sacraments; Articles on Predestination; Necessity of Reforming Church; Clear Explanation on Holy Supper; Best Method of Obtaining Concord; Brief Reply in Refutaton of Calumnies.
• Churchwardens' Accounts • Town of Ludlow (1540-end of Elizabeth's reign) (1869 edition on google book pdf) • St. Margaret's, Westminster (1478-1492) (1880 edition on google book pdf) • Croscombe, Pilton, Patton, Tintinhull, Morebath (1890 edition on google book pdf)
• Cranmer, Thomas • Works of Thomas Cranmer (1844 edition at archive.org) • Remains of Thomas Cranmer, Volume 1,Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4 (at archive.org) • A Short Instruction into Christian Religion (Catechism) (1829 edition at archive.org) • Defense of ...Sacrament of Body and Blood of Our Savior (1550 edition at archive.org) • Book of Common Prayer (1549 version at archive.org) ...more multi-volume sets of his writings on archive.org, including Parker Society editions
• Works of Luther - Volume 1 - Luther's Prefaces; Disputation on Indulgences; Treatise on Baptism, Discussion of Confession (1520); The Fourteen of Consolation (1520); Treatise of Good Works (1520); Treatise of the New Testament (1520); The Papacy at Rome (1520)
• Works of Luther - Volume 2 (HathiTrust; google book) - Treatise on Blessed Sacraments (1519); Treatise on the Ban (1520); Open Letter to Christian Nobility (1520); Babylonian Captivity of the Church (1520); Treatise on Christian Liberty (1520); Brief Explanation of 10 Commandments, Creed, Lord's Prayer (1520); 8 Wittenberg sermons (1522); That Doctrines of Men are to Be Subjected (1522)
• Luther's Works - Volume 31 (HathiTrust) - Works related to the Career of the Reformer
• Works related to Church and Ministry (HathiTrust)
• Select Works (ed. Henry Cole, HathiTrust) - Volume 2 - Exposition of John 17; Consolatory Tesseradecad for "Weary and Heavy Laden"; "The Last Words of David"; 3 Creeds; Explanation of Lord's Prayer; Treatise on Good Works; Professors and Prophets known by their Fruits; Prophets and Teachers of Miracles rejected; False Prophets.
• Primary Works (ed. Henry Wace, HathiTrust) - includes catechisms, 95 theses, 3 treatises
• Luther On Education in the Christian Home and School (selected by Kretzmann, google book)
• Tyndale, William - English Reformer and Bible Translator • The First New Testament Printed in English - Modernized version - (gutenberg.org)
• Digital Puritan • includes hundreds of links to primary sources for over 70 Puritans
• Ames, William (1576-1633) • Analytical Exposition of Both Epistles of Peter • Conscience with the Power and Cases thereof • A Fresh Suit Against Human Ceremonies in God's Worship (google pdf: 1633 edition); EEBO-TCP (modernized English) • The Marrow of Sacred Divinity (archive.org: 1639 edition); EEBO-TCP (modernized English)
• Mather, Increase - American Puritan • 135 works • A Brief Discourse Concerning the Unlawfulness of the Common Prayer Worship (at matherproject.org) • Diary - (google books: 1911 edition) • A Disquisition Concerning Ecclesiastical Councils (1716) - 1870 version - google book facsimile pdf • An Exhortation to the Inhabitants of New England (1676) (at matherproject.org) • History of King Phillip's War - (google books: 1862 edition)
Protestant Scholasticism • Lutheran Scholasticism - the following search terms will help you find sources on the site: • Abraham Calov • Aegidius Hunnius • Balthasar Meisner • David Chytraeus • David Chytraeus • David Hollatz • Hieronymus Kromayer • Jacob Heerbrand • Jakob Andrea • Johann Baier • Johann Dannhauer • Johann Gerhard • Johann Huelsemann • Johann König • Johann Quenstedt • John Carpzov • Leonard Hutter • Martin Chemnitz • Matthias Hafenreffer • Nicolaus Hunnius • Salomon Glassius
• Rembrandt van Rijn • Paintings (rembrandtpainting.net)
Rembrandt van Rijn's 100 Guilder Print (Banner print from Allen Memorial Art Museum via oberlin.edu; above print from Boston Museum of Fine Arts via wikicommons)